The Allianz Arena - home of FC Bayern Munich
Whether a tourist or a fan of the visiting team: all come to the Allianz Arena with mixed feelings and a slight tingle in the belly, a mixture of awe, respect and admiration. In the afternoon, the nearly 3000 outer shell air cushions sparkle in the sun light. In the evening the honeycombs light up in bright red, blue or white. The modern LED lighting consumes astonishingly little energy. On clear nights the arena can be seen from the mountain peaks in Austria.
Start times of the Arena tour: in German language: 11am | 1pm | 3pm | 4:30pm – In English: 1pm
BMW – a home for driving pleasure
BMW – a home for driving pleasure
The Deutsches Museum and the Stadtmuseum
With around 45,000 square meters of exhibition space and about 25,000 exhibits the German Museum is one of the world‘s largest science and technology museums. Those who wish to see all 53 areas will need to cover 17 kilometres.
Stadtmuseum (City Museum) Tue-Sun 10am-6pm
The English Garden
The Englischer Garten, German for „English Garden“, is a large public park in the centre of Munich, Bavaria, stretching from the city centre to the north eastern city limits. It was created in 1789 by Sir Benjamin Thompson (1753– 1814), later Count Rumford (Reichsgraf von Rumford), for Prince Charles Theodore, Elector of Bavaria. Thompsons‘successors, Reinhard von Werneck (1757–1842) and Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell (1750–1823), advisers on the project from its beginning, both extended and improved the park. With an area of 3.7 km2 (1.4 sq mi) (370 ha or 910 acres), the Englische Garten is one of the world‘s largest urban public parks, larger than New York‘s Central Park. The name refers to its English garden form of informal landscape, a style popular in Britain from the mid-18th century to the early 19th century Walkways stretch out to a length of 78km through the Park, there are 12km of bridle path and 8.5km of flowing water.
With its visible French Swiss onion domes, the Gothic brick building with the official name “Cathedral of our Lady”, is the town´s landmark.
Sat-Wed 7am-7pm, Thu 7am-8:30pm, Fri 7am- 6pm, guided tours: Sun, Tue, Thu at 2pm (May-Sept) Did you know that the devil still haunts the Church of our Lady? As another church was being built in Munich, the devil decided to destroy this one. After the Church was built, but not yet consecrated, the devil sneaked through the large gate of the entrance hall. He looked curiously at the construction and began to laugh loudly, because he had noticed that there were no windows (he was in fact standing at the exact place where all the windows are obscured by pillars). Triumphant with joy he stomped down on the ground, left a footprint in the pavement and then left the Church. When the Church was completed and consecrated, the devil saw the masses streaming to the new Church. From outside he discovered that the Church did indeed have windows. When he realised that he was mistaken, angrily he turned himself into a bellowing fierce wind, and tried to collapse the building. However he did not succeed. To this day „he storms” around the house of God.
The Hofgarten gate, Leo von Klenze‘s first building in Munich (1816), leads into the Hofgarten (courtyard garden) which was laid out at the beginning of the 17th century it depicts the style of an Italian Renaissance garden and today is a green oasis in the busy hustle and bustle of the city centre.
Glyptothek-stop: Konigsplatz, Tue-Wed, Fri- Sun 10am-5pm, Thu 10am-8pm
Antiquities-stop: Konigsplatz, Tue, Thu-Sun 10am-5pm, Wed 10am-8pm
Municipal Gallery in Lehnbachhaus-stop: Konigsplatz, Karolinenplatz, Tue-Sun 10am-6pm
Alte Pinakothek-stop: Odeonsplatz, Konigsplatz, Wed 10am-8pm, Thu-Mon 10am-6pm
Pinakothek der Moderne-stop: Odeonsplatz, Konigsplatz, Fri-Wed 10am-6pm, Thu 10am- 8pm
The new town hall dominates the square with its richly decorated neo-Gothic facades. You should not miss the famous carillon in the central tower at 11am and at 12 noon (from March to October also at 5pm). Its playing scenes from the city’s history.
Munich and shopping is associated together all over the world with the famous Grand Boulevard, which is named after Maximilian I. Joseph King of Bavaria. A stroll through the luxury mile between the National Theatre and Old Town Square, Maximilianstrase is one of the most expensive shopping streets in Europe. It is a must for any visit to Munich.
On Theatinerstrasse, passing the passage of Fünf Höfe and the art museum, Kunsthalle der Hypo Kulturstiftung – it’s way leads to the Feldherrnhalle which was constructed on behalf of King Ludwig I of Bavaria .
A journey to the time of the Bavarian Monarchy
The overloaded fairy tale world of Ludwig II. Neuschwanstein castle is one attraction; however the 500m wide magnificence of the Nymphenburg is equally as impressive in a different light. The castle attracts more than 300.000 visitors per year because of the enchanted park and the splendid summerhouse. In the footsteps of the Wittelsbach dynasty, you can stroll between the hall of mirrors and garden fountains or quench your thirst for knowledge in the integrated Museum.
The upper meadow left behind a long history as a parade ground, barracks, airfield and a stockpile of bomb debris. It became the scene for the 1972 summer Olympics and should have been the „cheerful games“, but the Palestinian terrorist act against the Israeli team abruptly put an end to this notion.
The impressive castle complex was created over the course of centuries and served as the Wittelsbach families living and seat of government until 1918.
This is a must visit: Whether oysters or chicken, domestic mushrooms or exotic fruits, at Munich‘s biggest and oldest food market (since 1807). You´ll find the appropriate delicacies for all culinary delights.
The oldest church in the city (1278-1294), inside impresses with its splendid rococo style. 306 wooden step lead up the tower, with ist folk name „Old Peter“. From there, you can see under certain weather conditions, the Alps.
Tower: Mon-Fri 9am-6:30pm,
Sat-Sun 10am-6:30pm (Summer)
Sat-Sun 10am-5:30pm (Winter)
With its spiral baroque towers and ocher coloured facades, the Theatinerkirche St. Kajetan was the first church north of the Alps, in the style of Roman baroque.